With the current economic meltdown, many Americans are literally struggling to meet their financial obligations and find it simply impossible to save money.
If you are one of them and frantically looking for ways to save big bucks, you have several options to consider.
You can apply some simple techniques like cutting your utility bills to save more.
Read on to know how.
- Your first and foremost duty to save money on utilities is to replace all of your light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs or tube. These fluorescent bulbs last at least 10 times longer than conventional bulbs and also save up to $60 in electricity per bulb over time.
- It’s a known fact that appliances consume 40 percent of their energy when they are shut off. Therefore, the purchase of a smart power strip can lessen this waste of electricity. These strips usually cut off power to appliances when they are turned off. The cost varies from $30 to $40, but its worth paying for.
- If you found water heater was built before 2004, cover it with Therm-well insulating blankets and lower your water heating bills by about 10 percent per year. If you have your furnace serviced about every two years, you can save another 10 percent on your heating bill as well.
- You can curb your heating bill by another 5 percent just by lowering the thermostat by a single degree during the winter. However, if you want to save more, you can consider installing a programmable thermostat that automatically adjusts the temperature when you’re away or asleep. If you can use the moisture sensor on your dryer and cold water in the washer will also trim your energy bill as well.
- Spreading weather-stripping around your door-frames can save you about $30 per year. In fact installing timers on your lights is also cost effective over time. If possible, put a low-flow shower head in your bathtub to reduce water output and don forget to plug those leaky faucets! Retrofitting your faucets is also a good idea, because these inexpensive gadgets can reduce your water flow from 3 to4 gallonsper minute to as little as a half gallon.
Keep the above mentioned points in mind and save as much as possible to ensure a secure financial future.